CLPE is seeking mentors to help guide our 5th graders through their Exhibition projects -
Exhibition is a signature program at IB schools that involves 5th-grade students working collaboratively to conduct an in-depth inquiry into real-life issues or problems. What makes CLPE's Exhibition projects unique is that they are done in the spirit of activism and/or philanthropy. The results of this inquiry process will then be shared with the whole school community at our exhibition showcase (tentatively set for the week of May 20th). CLPE students will work together in small groups to identify and research local opportunities for activism or philanthropy that they are passionate about. Then, they will take action to address a need in our community utilizing their time, treasure or talents.
Volunteer mentors will be paired with a small group of students (3-5 students) to provide project planning guidance and ensure the projects are realistic, appropriate and on-track.
We are in need of several volunteer mentors to meet with the students during their service project planning phase. Each mentor will be paired with a group of 3-5 students to help guide their creative ideas towards realistic and meaningful activities.
We would like volunteers to commit to meeting with the students for about an hour at a time at CLPE on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays. Please visit and fill in the survey link here: CLPE Exhibition Volunteer Preference Survey
Mentors are not required to be experts in any area, but "consultants" who advise a small group of students as needed. No supplies or experience is needed. A guide is provided to aid in facilitating group sessions. Training is provided to prepare mentors with the key elements of the IB Primary Years Program.
- Meet consistently with the same group of 5th-grade students to support the research, planning, and implementation of their projects.
- Ask questions to encourage students' depth in thinking and questioning (inquiry), support students in securing experts for the student group to interview, guiding students during their planning and organization for taking action and presenting their inquiry to others. "Stretch their path to new heights on the exhibition journey but let them steer."
- Help students learn from situations that didn't go as planned through reflection and discussion. Help students get unstuck through looking at a problem differently.
- Support students in setting goals each week.
- Suggest resources that might be helpful in further research needed for deeper understanding, action, and/or presentation planning.
- Aid in interpreting difficult information.
- Facilitate interviews, telephone calls, communications with public (emails, letters, brochures, etc.) Students will need to have script for verbal contacts or written communications approved by teachers first.
- Make sure you are registered with PSD's Partnership and Volunteer Center online at: https://www.psdschools.org/community/volunteers
- Mentors are invited to attend the exhibition presentations that are tentatively scheduled during the week of May 20th.
We hope you can help facilitate the work of these budding young philanthropists and activists!
Please contact Mandy Robinson (email@example.com) with any questions.
Shepardson Elementary -
Would you like to volunteer at Shepardson Elementary with some Kindergarten friends? We would love vibrant, patient, and kind volunteers Mondays-Fridays from 9:20 am - 10:10 am with literacy centers and Mondays and Tuesdays from 2:40 - 3:20 pm for math time. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Gabriella at 970.488.4548.
Irish Elementary is in need of help with soccer games
Our third fourth and fifth grade students anxiously await their lunch recess to challenge each other at a game of soccer day after day. Some of our kids are in teams outside of school and bring their passion for the game to the Irish field. The natural talent and ability the kids have even at their young age is incredible but even greater is their competitive spirit.
How can you help? Come referee soccer games during lunch recess. Be part of the inspiration as you encourage safe and healthy competition.
Please email Sara Sandoval email@example.com for more details or if you are interested in volunteering.
Putnam Elementary -
- Our fourth-grade team is looking for a clerical volunteer to help with weekly cutting and bagging words for spelling/phonics. This is something the person could take home to complete, or he/she could come to Putnam. Please contact Kristen Dart at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Putnam is updating our Media Center. We would like to find a volunteer to help in our library purging old books from the computer system and from the bookshelves. It would be more of a clerical position (not working with students). Hours are flexible and may take several days. Call me with questions: Tracie Roth 970-488-7704 email@example.com
Timnath Elementary -
Volunteers needed to read and play with 3 and 4-year-old students at Timnath Early Childhood. Monday-Thursday, 9-12:30 or 1:00-3:30. We are cute and full of playful fun. We need your helping hands so come play with us and have some fun! Interested? Please contact: Gail Anastasion 488-6857 or firstname.lastname@example.org