Nutritious meals help students learn and achieve
A leader in K-12 food service, PSD Child Nutrition partners with customers, manufacturers and other school districts to provide students with fresh and delicious breakfasts and lunches in the cafeterias, as well as in the classrooms and grab-and-go selections.
Menu items meet or exceed USDA guideline to ensure healthy and nutritious meals for students. Recipes include more vegetables, Colorado-grown produce, whole grains and less preservatives. New menu items and products are taste-tested by students to determine what items to offer in school cafeterias.
How are school meals prepared?
PSD school kitchens prepare meals daily mostly by scratch - a safer, higher quality option than other districts who use centralized kitchens.
- MyPlate reflection of a balanced meal with the required food components: whole grains, meat/meat alternate, fruits, vegetables, milk (juice), salad bars
- 6-8 fruits and vegetables available at lunch ($1 million of budget spent on produce)
- High quality ingredients (ie 100% beef patties)
- Less processed items, preservatives, additives, sodium and no trans fat
- Increase the amount of vegetables in current recipes
- New seasonal recipes
PSD Child Nutrition facts:
- Provides students with healthy, low cost meals to enhance student learning and achievement.
- Prepares healthy meals on-site that meet or exceed USDA nutritional criteria and food safety standards.
- 45 Kitchens prepare 2.2 million high-quality meals across the district.
- PSD Child Nutrition is a founding member of the Northern Colorado Local Food Cluster to identify major gaps in availability of local ingredient options. Each month, an evaluation of local options that can be purchased in food service scale quantities is done.
- A department assessment by Prismatic, an independent company, stated: "Prismatic found a highly functioning, financially self-supporting CN program in PSD. The CN department excels at providing a variety of menu choices and fresh fruit and vegetable offerings at all grade levels...The survey results among all four stakeholder groups include positive responses in many areas."
Child Nutrition Job Opportunities - Check out the PSD Employment Site for openings in Child Nutrition.