Poudre School District celebrates district, staff and student accomplishments!
PSD is a top-performing school district, consistently recognized nationally and at the state level for student, staff and district excellence.
PSD students continue to perform higher on state CMAS tests and several students in recent years have earned perfect scores of 36 on the ACT. Also, within the past three years:
- 12 students were selected as Boettcher Scholars
- 26 students were selected as National Merit Scholar Finalists
- 3 students were selected as National Hispanic Recognition Scholars
- Two students were selected as Presidential Scholars
- Numerous students became state champions in science, history, and knowledge bowls, as well as in speech, debate, theater, and music
- Several student athletes became state champions in cross country, track and field, swimming, baseball, and gymnastics
PSD is an accomplished school district with passionate teachers!
- Numerous PSD teachers and administrators have been selected as Colorado teachers or administrators of the year in their designated fields.
- PSD is home to four U.S.D.E. National Blue Ribbon schools for their high achievement among students.
- Three PSD schools are designated U.S.D.E. National Green Ribbon schools for their commitment to health and sustainability.
- PSD has been named a Gold Leader each year since 2009 for district sustainability accomplishments.
- Several PSD schools have been recognized by the Colorado Department of Education with academic excellence awards that include the John Irwin Excellence awards and the Governor’s Distinguished Improvement awards.
Prestigious and noteworthy awards are listed below:
2015-16 School Year:
- U.S. Department of Education recognizes PSD as a national leader in sustainability - April 2016
- Tanya Alcaraz, Fossil Ridge High School marketing teacher and DECA advisor, received a 2016 Association Chapter Advisor of the Year national award for excellence in integrating DECA’s program into course learning and supporting student achievement - April 2016
- Lesher's Tom Dodd named Colorado Principal of the Year - April 2016
- Polaris and Preston selected as Trailblazer Schools to Watch - March 2016
- Melanie Mierzwa named Colorado Assistant Principal of the Year - February 2016
- Vicky Jordan, Wellington Middle School Science Teacher, named a National Science Teacher Association Distinguished Teaching award winner - February 2016
- Poudre High School wins CDE ICAP award for their meaningful program - January 2016 (CDE web article)
- PSD music groups honored with CMEA selection - January 2016
- Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School receives National Blue Ribbon School award - September 2015
- District juniors earn highest ACT scores in seven years - September 2015
- FRHS Wind Symphony to perform at prestigious national conference - September 2015
- Fossil Ridge High School was named the 2015 Project Unify School of the year by the Colorado Special Olympics - September 2015
- Exceptional student scholars abound in PSD (Perfect ACT students, National Merit Semi-finalists) - September 2015
- PSD named one of Colorado's healthiest places to work - August 2015
- PHS International Baccalaureate graduates distinguish themselves - 97% earn full IB diploma - August 2015
- PSD Students Continue to Perform Higher Than State on CMAS Tests - July 2015
- 2015 Fort Collins High School graduate Elizabeth Chen named one of two Colorado "State AP Scholar" - September 2015 (no link)
2014-15 School Year:
- Full list of 2014-15 student, staff, school and district accomplishments (including athletic state champions)
- Class of 2015 has 10 National Merit Finalists, three Boettcher scholars and 2 Daniels Fund scholars - May 2015
- Liberty named top high school in state, 49th nationwide, by U.S. News May 2015 (Denver Business Journal, May 2015 - Links to full listing)
- All four comprehensive high schools ranked in the top 60 as "Best Public High Schools in Colorado" - Niche, January 2015
- Kruse Elementary named 2014 National Blue Ribbon School - September 2014 (U.S Dept. of Education National Blue Ribbon Schools website)
- Sixteen PSD schools recognized with 2014 CDE academic excellence awards - December 2014 (Colorado Dept. of Education website: John Irwin Excellence Awards; Governor’s Distinguished Improvement Awards)
- PSD Global Academy, a 2014 Transformation Award winner - Fall 2014 (Fuel Education website)
- Three PSD students earn perfect ACT scores! (FCHS' Burke Snowden, PHS' Zaki Phelan and Alex Iverson, Liberty Common High) - Fall 2014
- Olander counselor selected as Counselor of the Year in Colorado – Fall 2014 Colorado School Counselor Association website
- PSD named 2014 Gold Leader for sustainability accomplishments, an honor PSD has received yearly since 2009! - Fall 2014
- 94% of PHS IB graduates earn full International Baccalaureate diploma in 2013-14 school year - August 2014
- More than 400 PSD students earn Advanced Placement scholar awards on exams in 2013-14 school year - October 2014
2013-14 School Year:
- PSD seniors named National Merit, Boettcher, Daniels Fund, Presidential and National Hispanic Recognition Scholars - May 2014
- Sixteen PSD schools recognized with Colorado Department of Education achievement awards - December 2013– Governor’s Distinguished Improvement and John Irwin School of Excellence awards
- Lopez Elementary earns "Lighthouse" Leader in Me designation - June 2014 Lopez Elementary website
- Lesher IB Middle School named 2014 Green Ribbon School for commitment to health and sustainability - April 2014 (U.S. Department pf Education Green Ribbon Schools website)
- Nearly 100 % of PHS IB seniors earn International Baccalaureate diploma for 2012-13 school year - August 2013
- PSD students earn Advanced Placement scholar awards for 2012-13 school year - October 2013
- Four PSD students earn perfect ACT scores - Fall 2013
- Shephardson Elementary principal Jennifer Chadwick selected for the Colorado Association of School Executives’ 2013 Reba Ferguson Memorial Rookie Principal of the Year award - August 2013 (Colorado Association of School Executives awards web page)
- Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School physical education teacher Jeanne Morgan selected for the 2013 Middle School Teacher of the Year award by the Colorado Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - August 2013
- Poudre High School coach Randy Yaussi inducted into the Colorado High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame - March 2014 (Colorado High School Coaches Association website and Fort Collins Coloradoan USA Today)
- Fall and winter athletic state champions 2013-14
- Spring athletic state champions 2013-14
2012-13 School Year:
- PSD named to 3rd annual AP District Honor Roll - November 2012 (College Board's AP District Honor Roll website)
- Kinard Core Knowledge Middle School selected as Green Ribbon School – April 2013 (U.S. Dept. of Education Green Ribbon Schools website)
- Traut Core Knowledge Elementary designated a 2013 National Blue Ribbon School - September 2013 (U.S. Dept. of Education National Blue Ribbon Schools website)
- Wellington Middle School selected as International AVID Demonstration School - May 2013
- Three PSD students earn perfect ACT Scores - November 2012
- PSD seniors named National Merit, Boettcher, Daniels Fund or National Hispanic Recognition scholars - May 2013
- PHS students score high on International Baccalaureate exams for 2011-12 School Year- Fall 2012
- Students earn Advanced Placement scholar awards for 2011-12 school year - October 2012
- Fossil Ridge High School Spanish teacher Norma Arroyo named 2013 Teacher of the Year by the Colorado Congress of Foreign Language Teachers.
- PGA Counselor Chris Hagge selected as 2013 Colorado Online Counselor of the Year by the Colorado Department of Education.
- PSD students win State championships: History Bowl, Science Olympiad, Knowledge Bowl, Ocean Sciences, and Speech and Debate - April 2013
- Fossil Ridge High School Marching Band wins 2012 state title.
Other previous notable awards and recognitions:
- Wellington Middle School is among first-ever U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools – April 2012
- PSD Board of Education wins National Magna Award, which recognizes districts nationwide for outstanding programs that advance student learning and encourage community involvement in schools - March 2009
- Fossil Ridge High School social studies teacher Mark Barry was honored as Colorado Milken Educator of the year in November 2009, receiving a $25,000 check from the Milken Family Foundation in recognition of his exceptional work as a teacher.
- Werner Elementary Named U.S. Dept. of Education National Blue Ribbon School - Fall 2008
Note: This list is in progress and will be updated as information becomes available.