School Wellness teams (at every PSD school) develop School Health Improvement plans with goals centered around the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model. Teams assess wellness strengths and weaknesses at schools while developing plans.
- 100% of Schools have a School Wellness Team
- 100% of Schools have a Wellness Team Leader or Champion
- In 2017-2018 School Wellness Teams reported programming for over 13,700 students and 2000 staff in the areas of the WSCC model
Healthy Schools Certification
PSD Wellness in partnership with the Wellness Advisory Council for Schools (WACS) have developed a Healthy Schools Certification that recognizes outstanding schools, which have met health, wellness, and policy compliance. The Healthy Schools Certification celebrates schools that implement best practices and initiatives to integrate wellness into their school climate and culture.
|2017 Gold Awards||2017 Silver Awards|
School gardens are a great way to incorporate wellness into the curriculum. Students learn about food, the environment, and a healthier lifestyle that includes making nutritious food choices.
Interested in learning more? Check out the PSD School Garden Resource Packet
PSD Wellness has partnered with Big Green is build school a food and wellness culture that promotes youth wellness. We’re connecting kids to real food through a network of Learning Gardens and food literacy programs all connected to Health and Science standards. For more information or to apply for a Big Green Learning Garden for your school, visit The Big Green Website.
PSD Big Green Learning Gardens
- Bacon Elementary
- Bauder Elementary
- Harris Bilingual Elementary
- Irish Elementary
- Putnam Elementary
- Riffenberg Elementary
- Rice Elementary
- Lesher Middle School
- Lopez Elementary
- Dunn Elementary
- Polaris Expeditionary Learning School
Coming Soon...Tavelli Elementary, Laurel Elementary, Lincoln Middle, O'Dea Elementary
Movement Break Videos - View them all here!
PSD Movement Break videos are brought to you by PSD Wellness and PSD TV.
Benefits of movement and exercise:
- Prepares the brain to learn (Ratey)
- Boosts brain function (Medina)
- Improves cognition (Sylwester)
- Regulates behavior (Ratey)
- Positively changes the brain (Ratey)
- Increases oxygen and glucose to the brain
- Increases secondary dendrite growth
- Increases BDNF
- Increases Neurogenesis