Celebrating 50 Years of Quality Education!
A major milestone for Poudre School District is underway in 2010-11 as the district celebrates its 50th anniversary! In the fall of 1960, 30 Larimer County school districts were reorganized into the current three districts – Poudre, Thompson, and Estes Park.
A steering committee began meeting last fall to plan events and activities related to the milestone—50 years of quality education!
*History Items (for sale in print and on DVDs, and accessible free using links below):
- History booklet covering local education from 1866 to today, written by retired teacher and local historian Wayne Sundberg ($3 each or 2 for $5)
- Collection of 3 DVDs featuring nearly 6 hours of interviews with school namesakes, features, and histories of many PSD schools ($10 for set)
- Brief history of all PSD’s current schools
- Photo history display in JSSC lobby, 2407 LaPorte Ave., Aug. – Apr. 2011
Events and Activities:
- Aug. 10 Board Reception: The PSD Board of Education hosted a reception at the Johannsen Support Services Center, prior to the board meeting to honor those involved. Past board members and superintendents since 1960 were invited, as well as school namesakes. The Board adopted a resolution, and the history was presented to the Board and district (See reception photo gallery below.)
- August: Proclamations were adopted by the City of Fort Collins, Larimer County, and the Towns of Timnath and Wellington
- Sept. 7 Poudre Retired School Educator Assn. (PRSEA) Picnic: 12 noon, September 7 Annual Fall Picnic, at Fossil Creek Park; Sundberg will provide a summary of the history, and booklets and DVDs will be on sale
- Sept. 18 Cemetery Stroll: More than 200 persons attended the annual stroll at Grandview Cemetery, which celebrated educators in our past as historical representations.
- Oct. 15 Community Homecoming Parade: Students, parents and PSD staff designed and built a float for the parade, and 7 very honored guests -- namesakes for whom schools have been named -- rode the float with students to depict PSD's Legacy: Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow.
- Throughout school year: PSD 2nd and 4th grade teachers will utilize the history package in conjunction with local and state history taught in these grades.
Information: Ellen Laubhan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 490-3427.
*All printing, duplication, and other costs are being paid for by a grant and anonymous donation.